The name of Uijeongbu originated from the following story. When Taejo Yi Seong-gye Taejo was already an ex-king and his son Taejong was the king, the former stayed in the present-day Howon-dong and there discussed the affairs of the state with his subjects. “Uijeongbu” was the name of the highest legislative body in the Joseon dynasty, which was later adopted as the name of the whole region.
Later, however, the name “Uijeongbu” first emerged in the literature in 1912, and the town was officially called “Uijeongbu-ri, Dunya-myeon, Yangju-gun” according to the Gyeonggi-do edition of the Local Administrative District Nomenclature announced on May 28 of the same year.
- During the Goguryeo period - included in Maeseong-hyeon
- During the Goryeo period - included in Gyeonju
- During the Joseon period - included in Yangju
- October 1, 1938 – designated as “Yangju-myeon”
- October 1, 1942 - elevated to Uijeongbu-eup
- January 1, 1963 - elevated to Uijeongbu-si